Tuesday, November 09, 2010

November, Day 9

Connections.

I am thankful for connections.

I am in the process of becoming a DONA (Doulas of North America) birth doula. Part of the process requires that I attend three births, only one of which can be a cesarean. I attended my first certification birth, which was a home birth turned transfer turned cesarean. That was a train wreck that may have left me traumatized on many different levels than The Mom.

My second birth was a volunteer birth, that was organized through a friend. It was a beautiful midwife assisted hospital birth. Just lovely.

I am currently looking for a third birth to attend. This is where my connections come in to effect. I got my second birth through a friend that started a volunteer doula organization for our area. I have an interview for a potential client next week, again thanks to the same friend with her doula organization.

When I was first out of college, I did not want to take advantage of any connections that friends or family may have had, and I can say for a fact that because of that, I definitely missed out on some job opportunities, or at least an interview. This time around, on a new job search in a new life chapter, I will definitely take any points in the right direction.

I hope that one day I can return the favor.

No comments: