Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November, Day 30

Today I am thankful for Modern Medicine. I don't even know if it is worthy of capitalization, but I'm doing it.

Last night I drove myself to the Emergency Room (stupid idea, I know) to see if they could figure out what the pain I was having was. It was pretty much center of my chest, and my gallbladder had been ruled out last week, and that doesn't leave a whole lot - lungs, diaphragm and heart. Well, with my Mom's family and their history of heart disease, I talked with The Husband and we decided to get it checked out. He stayed home with the kids, and I left for the hospital. I was seriously banking on it not being anything heart related, which is why I drove myself. If I honestly thought it was a heart issue, I would have gotten a ride, but I was 98% sure it wasn't, but I needed someone with some letters after their name to tell me that.

It turns out I've got some gastrointestinal "thing" going on, and last night they gave me a "GI Mix" which was lidocaine, Maalox and an anti-spasmodic drug, and wow! did that thing ever work. My pain went away in five minutes, and it was lovely.

I am supposed to follow up with a Gastroenterologist for a possible endoscopy. I am also wondering if there isn't a food allergy or sensitivity going on ... I had hives a few weeks ago and they broke out again last night, so I'm wondering if there is a connection. I highly doubt it, since my skin reacted wherever the adhesive touched me. I'm also taking a steroid for the next three days to keep the hives in check. I probably won't sleep alot either, as steroids tend to keep me awake.

So my thanks go to the hospital staff last night - here's hoping I don't have to see any of you again any time soon, unless it's in the produce section at the grocery store.

No comments: