Thursday, November 18, 2010

November, Day 18

Today I am thankful for shelter.

I know, it sounds ... whatever. But, we have to remember that shelter is not guaranteed to everyone, and those of us that do have it, I am willing to bet that we often overlook it or take it for granted. Our house is too small, too messy, not in the right neighborhood ... whatever. But, firstly, we should be thankful that we have something to complain about.

With the downturn in the economy, how many people are *pinch* this close to losing their home?

How many people wonder where they are going to get next months rent money?

How many people don't have anything to call home, outside of a shelter, a park bench, or a tent in a park somewhere?

It's cold out today, and the wind is brisk. The thermometer says is 40 degrees, but it doesn't feel like it. I'm cold, but I was able to get in a car that starts and drive home, put my key in the lock and let myself in. Yes, the windows in my house are drafty and need to be covered with plastic, as we do every year. Yes, the living room is a mess, and I've got a pile of laundry that's larger than I'd like to admit.

But, I was able to come in out of the cold. I have a place that my children come home to after school and drop their stuff and can grab a book and a blanket and read. I know that our mortgage is able to be paid next month, and the month after that. I don't have to worry about those things.

For my shelter, in all it's imperfections, I am thankful.

No comments: