Thursday, August 09, 2007

Zukey Bread

So, we've had a bit of a cold front come through here ... it's down to the lower 80s with humidity in the mid 70's, so it only feels like 84 degrees outside, with a slight breeze and some clouds ... so what better to do than bake! It's been crazy hot and humid here for the last two weeks, and I've been staring down the zucchini on the counter. Today, I baked.

I think this may be my favorite recipe for zucchini bread. I've got a couple I work with, but I like this the best - it's a combination of my Moms, an aunts, something from a cookbook, and a tip from a friend.

1 stick butter
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

3 cups of grated zucchini - I grate mine on the smallest grating board, since I don't like big pieces of zucchini. It also seems to kick the seeds out. When I'm done grating it, I put it into a strainer and let some of the liquid drip out, and then before I measure it, I sort of toss it with a fork so it's not so compressed together into a zucchini blob.

3 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

For the topping:
more chopped walnuts
raw sugar

Preheat oven to 350.
You can either butter and dust your loaf pans (you'll need 2) or line them with parchment paper, which ever you choose. I come from a family of butterers, so parchment paper is new to me as of a few years ago.

In the mixer, mix the butter until fluffy.
Add the sugars and beat again, on low speed, until mixed well.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well, still on low speed.
Add the zucchini, about a cup at a time, mixing well between each cup.

In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and powder, and cinnamon.
Add the dry ingredients, about a cup at a time to the mixer. Mix well between each addition.

If you choose to put walnuts in your bread, add them at the end, again mixing well.

Split the batter between the pans, and give them a jiggle to even out the tops.

For the topping, I take a handful (1/2 cup?) of chopped walnuts and sprinkle them on top of the bread. I follow that with a sprinkle of raw sugar. I like the crunch that it gives the bread.

Bake the loaves for 45 - 50 minutes, on the middle rack of the oven. My mom was an overbaker, so I tend to under bake bread to keep it on the moister side of life. After you take the bread out of the oven, leave it in the pan for 5 - 10 minutes to cool, and then remember to take it out of the pan (sponge bread, anyone?) and finish cooling on a wire rack.

Happy Gardening & Happy Baking!

No comments: