Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Garden Trifecta

You may remember me complaining about how the rabbits had obliterated my green peppers and hostas, and how the chipmunks have taken up residence under both the front and back porch (nothing like a buckling sidewalk to say Welcome to Our Home!). I think I mentioned that the only thing that would make my garden complete would be a visit from horn worms.

Well, they're here.

I found my first one yesterday morning, I'm expecting to go get more this morning.

These things are ugly in a cool sort of way, if you can overlook the fact that they are on a course to destroy my tomato plants. Which, I might add, are growing the most delicious tomatoes this summer, even if they are splitting from too much rain.

I'm sure that horn worms serve some purpose, other than turning into a moth. I can't imagine what it is, other than a source of enjoyment for my neighbors that watch me scurry all over the place searching for them.

And, if you haven't ever had the joy of meeting a horn worm, they blend perfectly with the plant, which makes them that much harder to find. But, if you look for the strangely naked branches on the plant, look on the underside of the stem and there you'll find them. Their poop is also strangely geometric in a gross sort of way.

So ... my summer is complete ... I've achieved the trifecta of terror.

No comments: