Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Beach and The Museum: Vacation Part 2

The second part of our Mini Vacation took us to Warren Dunes in Michigan on Sunday. If you have not had the chance to visit this particular stretch of lake, I say, DO IT!

After having been introduced to beaches on that side of the lake when my folks moved there when I was 11, I have become a Beach Elitist. Yes, an elitist. While yes, we do have beaches on this side of the lake, they are nothing compared to beaches in Michigan.

Illinois beaches: rocky, dirty, stinky, usually accompanied by a few floating fish
Michigan beaches: the smoothest sand I've ever seen, clean, no floating fish

Now maybe I've only been to yucky Illinois beaches, but when compared to Western Michigan beaches ... there is no comparison. Like I said, an elitist.

Warren Dunes was only a two hour drive from our house, less than a tank of gas, and very doable with two small kids. We loaded up some snacks, sunblock and the sand toys and off we went.

We played on the beach and in the water. Had some corn dogs for lunch, at a very reasonably priced concession stand - $9.00 and some change for four corndogs and an order of fries. Technically it was three corndogs after The Bee dropped hers in the sand on her first bite, but still ... and anyway, there was about an inch gap between the towels, and wouldn't you know, that is the exact place where her hot dog fell. Kind of like the buttered side of the bread always landing down.

After two and a half hours on the beach and in the water, we took our stuff back to the car, put on our shoes and decided to climb the Dunes. I have a few hints for this:

  • flip flops are a no-no - either do it barefoot or in gymshoes
  • don't do it on an 85 degree day at 3 in the afternoon
  • bring your water
  • wear a hat
  • bring a camera - the view is awesome!
Much to our surprise, both kids made it to the top. They were both determined to make it ... it took a few stops and starts, and a short rest on a toppled tree, but we all made it to the top. And, if we're being honest, I think that Mommy and Daddy appreciated the breaks too.

The Lake is always beautiful, no matter where you get to see it from - a variety of shades of blue, waves coming in, the sound of it breaking on the beach ... I don't think I've ever been to the Lake and been disappointed. Growing up, after my Mom married my Bob, we spent a lot of our weekends on the boat on the Chain of Lakes. For me, the Lake is so calming ... the sound of the water lapping, the sun shining, the wind as you bounce across the water ... it almost centers me, in a way, if that makes any sense. I know that this weekend, as we went around a corner and we got our first glimpse of the lake, I gasped. And I think that I felt everything wash out of me, like the water going back out from the beach. In that one moment, everything stopped and it was perfect.

After our day at the Dunes, we made our way to our Hotel. If you're ever in Stevensville, Michigan (exit 23, I believe), stay at the Choice Hotels, just off the expressway. Stevensville is a nice little town, the hotel was lovely, and the staff was excellent. We had dinner at Cracker Barrel, and then headed back for more fun in the pool! Can you say waterlogged?!

The next day we made our way over to Curious Kids Children's Museum in St. Joseph Michigan (exit 27). St. Joseph is another lovely town along the lake - wonderful old building, homes that used to belong to area lumber barons ... beautiful woodwork, wide staircases, big front porches. And of course, the lake.

The kids had a good time, and we left to come back home when the meltdowns started. Travel back home was quick and uneventful.

So now we're home, and getting ready to settle into School Mode. Kindergarten and Preschool start next week. Just like it seems like Q and The Bee were just born, and now they're going to school, it feels like summer just started, and now it's over.

I don't remember summer being this short when I was a kid, that's for sure.

No comments: