Friday, August 03, 2007

Todays the day for a Festival

It's North Aurora Days this weekend, and it's a perfect weekend for it. We've got friends coming over today, and we will be:

  • grilling our dinner
  • watching an Emergency Vehicle Parade - if it's got lights and/or a siren, you can bet it'll be here
  • going over to climb on the trucks, etc
  • playing in the bouncy house and going down the inflatable slide
  • eating Rice Krispy Treats
  • eating fudge
  • watching fireworks from the front yard
  • eating popcorn
  • drinking a few beers
  • listening to the band from our front yard

We all look forward to this every year ... it's very small town and it's very nice. It's one of those, "what summer is all about" type of things in my book.

I think the part that gets me the most is you hear the fire engines before you see them (they're almost always in the lead because they're the biggest, and I would think, the most difficult to park) and they have their lights on and their sirens going, and they have the very big American flags up. Almost every year I think I catch my husband tearing up at this ... I definitely married a Proud American. It is quite the sight ... a nice reminder of us, as Americans. And then the kids are so excited, and my son screams at the top of his voice, and jumps around and claps and waves, and he can hardly speak he's so excited ... I absolutely love it. It is one of my best and favorite Mom moments.

Whatever it is you find yourself doing this weekend, I hope you enjoy it. If you're in the western suburbs tomorrow and you hear the incessant droning of a helicopter, give a wave, it just may be us taking a ride!

No comments: