Saturday, August 11, 2007

A mini vacation - Grama and the Wild West

Yesterday was the unofficial start of a family vacation weekend.

The kids and I took yesterday and went "home", which is the town where I grew up. There is something so comfortable about going home, even if "home" is getting a little worn around the edges, and they are making changes you don't necessarily like. I must have made that right turn a zillion times, and it still feels so right. Then the left by the Junior High School, then the right to go past the High School, left past the Cop Shop, through a few back roads, and then to Grama's House we Went.

Yesterday was her birthday, she is 77 years old now. This is a good long time to be alive. She is in good physical health, although I fear that her mind is starting to dull a bit. I think that one of my biggest fears is that she will follow the Alzheimer's Path that her mother took ... I pray that she takes a different course.

The kids wanted to bring her a cake, so we made one. It was beautifully decorated with bright blue glittery sugar and rainbow sprinkles. We also took food to grill, because crowds tend to make Grama nervous. This way, if a bunch of us showed up, she wouldn't have to worry about having enough food to feed all of us.

We were there. So was an Aunt. And another Aunt, although she is the crabby one. And then my Dad showed up! Yeah! The kids got to play with Poppy (my Dad), I got to chat with his girlfriend Susan, and Grama and Poppa finally got to meet her. This took a huge weight off of her - she told me in the kitchen while Dad & Susan were outside, that she and Pop were afraid that maybe Daddy was ashamed of them, where they lived, or something like that. I quickly squashed that thought - the honest reason that Daddy hadn't brought Susan yet is that every time they were down, it was always an "event" and it's easier to visit with Grama one family at a time. She's too nervous otherwise.

We stayed for what is for us, a long time, almost four and a half hours. I usually try to get home so I'm not sitting with two kids in (you're not) rush (ing) hour traffic, but this time I said No, I'm having a good time, I'm tired of leaving early, screw traffic. And in the end, it wasn't such a bad ride home. A good visit, and pretty okay commute, and short naps for the littles on the way home.

For today, Day 2 of our Mini Vacation, we went to Donley's Wild West Town in Union, Illinois. We spent a good chunk of our day there. While there, it was mostly for the kids, but I'll say "we":

Saw the first five minutes of a Wild West Show, until the kids declared it too loud, so we went in search of something quieter.

The kids got to ride in mini canoes

Rode on a pony

Pet and fed goats, sheep and a chicken. We didn't feed the duck or the potbellied pig, though.

Pet a donkey that had wandered out of it's pen

Rode the hand cars

Had a picnic lunch, complete with Peanut Butter and HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY JAM sandwiches.

Panned for "gold"

Had strawberry "sundaes"

There were big naps for the littles on the ride home. Q woke up, but the Bee stayed asleep, and I had to wake her up at 6:00 for dinner. The drawback to this, is that I checked on her before I started this, and she was still asleep.

In fact, I should be getting ready for Part 2 of our Mini Vacation, which will take us to Michigan,
this time for fun on the beach, maybe a museum ... the only thing we know for sure is that we have a place to stay tomorrow night! Whatever happens before and after that, we'll see.

No comments: