Friday, August 24, 2007

Dentist Update

So we went to the dentist to have the tooth looked at.

You never really like it when a medical person makes *those* faces, especially when it's your child they are looking at. Although, I do know that the dentist has a child of her own, and maybe she was just channeling some of her mothering instinct into looking at my daughters bruised up mouth.

One of the first things she said, "Wow, I'm surprised she didn't break her nose."

Not the way you want to start out a visit to the dentist.

So, it turns out that when The Bee fell, she caught herself on her moustache area, and when she hit the slide, the force of it bruised the inside of her upper lip, leaving four nice tooth imprints. She also has some major bruising and a little swelling. And, her front right tooth is loose.

So, the dentist told me to keep an eye on the swelling, and if she turns into a puffer fish (my words, not hers) to call her asap. And to come back next Wednesday. If she doesn't like the way it's healing, or if there is an infection up in her gums, then we get to go to a pediodontist. Lovely. That is so NOT on my list of things to do in this lifetime.

Apparently, if it doesn't heal right, an infection can set in her gums and that could affect the way her permanent tooth comes in, since it's already forming up in there.

And, because my daughter is a thumb sucker, she can no longer do that because of the loose tooth - the pressure can keep it loose or make it jaunty. So basically more of a confirmation that at least one of my children will need orthodontic work.

And, that little connector thing that is in the front of your mouth, when you stick your tongue up over your front teeth, that's your frenum. She ripped that too, when she fell, so that is why she was bleeding.

She seems to be fine, except that she is having a hard time not sucking her thumb. I made a deal with her that she could only suck her thumb in bed - after she falls asleep it falls out anyway, so I'll settle for that for now.

It's been a long, hellish week. I think I'm glad it's Friday.

No comments: