Friday, March 26, 2010

six days into spring

and it's an open declaration of war!

You may recall some of my chipmunk adventures. You may also recall that I absolutely hate those that are living in my backyard and under my back stoop. I'm all for cute, but you're not allowed to wreck my things.

They have also been known to run around in the front yard. I think they may have something to do with my buckling sidewalk. I can't be 100% sure, but since they have been seen tunneling on either side of the buckled area, I'm thinking it's a pretty sure thing.

I went out back today to clean up a little bit, and clear away some dead leaves, etc ... when I pulled the dead leaves from the hosta on the corner, the whole thing came out. No roots left, at all. Nothing. Just a big empty hole in the ground where the roots USED to be. Bastard chipmunks.

It's kind of an unused corner, and it was the perfect spot for my plants. Evidently it was also the perfect spot for my backyard nemesis (is there a plural for this?) to set up a self serve cafe.


Here is the front and back door to their home. I filled it last fall, and they have dug themselves out again.














These are my day lilies. I LOVE day lilies ... I have them in several places in my yard, and they are one of my favorite flowers. You'll see that I don't have to split them up this year because, oh, the chipmunks decided to eat the center of my flowers. See that big empty spot, yep, that's where my flowers used to be.

So, once again, I'm waging a battle with nature. I feel kinda bad about it, but not bad enough to stop. It comes back to this: you're not allowed to wreck my house or hurt my neighbors.

Sorry. Not happening here.

1 comment:

Karla said...

Nice, Becky.