Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Oh the weather outside is frightful ...

And something else is so delightful ... something about a place to go ...

Let it snow
Let it snow
Let it snow

Well, Chicago has been singing that song for weeks now ... it's like we're stuck in some weird Groundhog Day type of loop ... cold, snow, warm up a bit, open the windows (I did, anyway), melt some, make some slush, freeze so everything is a sheet of ice, warm up again, snow again, rain, get really windy, snow some more. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

And to top it off, people are acting like we need to bring out the chains for our tires.

It's Chicago, people. This should not be anything new to anybody that has been living here for more than a couple of years.

You don't need to drive 12 mph, but you also don't need to drive 80 mph (you, in the supersize SUV, I'm talking about you!).

Driving in the tire tracks is a good idea. However, you cannot take the right most tire track from the left lane and the left most tire track from the right lane and drive down the center of two lanes. Nope. Choose one. Stay there.

Granted, I say this, and I will likely be the one to slide into someone or a ditch. It happened a couple of years ago when I was pregnant with The Bee and had Q in the car ... somehow I managed to miss the metal road signs indicating a curve and I missed sixteen trees. I was 150 feet off the road in somebody's very large front yard. I consider myself a very lucky gal.

So, off to bundle up again, get out the shovels and head back outside.

I will say that after all of this, I am really starting to look forward to spring. I'm not completely tired of winter, but the thought of playing in the dirt is much more fun than playing in the snow.

No comments: