Monday, February 25, 2008

The Library

I must say, I love the library. I probably don't take the kids as often as I should, but they are just now getting to the age where they can both appreciate it and all it has to offer. And, most importantly, they have stopped yelling across the building to each other, which is key at the library.

Two weeks ago, I came home with a stack of books for us to read, some stories on cd (my car doesn't have a tape player), which the kids love to listen to. We don't always follow along in the book, but they love to listen to the stories. We've been listening to them in the car since we checked them out, and it's very popular. It's also a nice diversion from the kid music which is usually playing.

Today, we went and we checked out so many books that they didn't fit in our tote bag. What a wonderful problem to have. I came home with five books for me to read, and the kids have three stories on cd and a computer game to keep busy if we get the snow that we're supposed to.

I think what I love most of all is the used book section. On my two week ago trip, I also managed to pick up five other books for $2, one of which is an out of print allergy cookbook that I can use to get recipes for my nephew.

I have great memories of going to the library with my Dad when I was little - we used to go every Saturday, and for some reason, one of the things I remember the most, outside of the smell, was the melted album that they had on the counter with a warning not to leave them in your car, otherwise they could melt and you would have to pay the replacement costs. So yes, this post officially dates me, but I remember that melted album.

My first job in high school was located right next to the library and during my lunch hours, I could often be found next door checking out books, or reading on my lunch hour. I wish I could say that I always returned them on time, but that would be a fib.

I'm hoping that my kids can get as much enjoyment from the library as I do. Books are such a wonderful world ... I cannot imagine not going where books take me or the things they teach me ... I hope that they enjoy books and reading as much as my husband and I do. I'd say we're off to a good start now.

Off to read for a few ...

No comments: