Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Girl is Three

So ... The Bee is three.

This is actually kind of funny, since she spent most of her 2nd year telling everyone she was three. Now, she tells you she is two.

I look at this little girl person of mine and I see so many different things, and bits of so many different people too.

She is determined, some days it's just sheer stubborn-ness, but one day this will get her where she wants to go, and I won't worry as much about her not getting where she wants to be.

She is dramatic. I don't know where she gets it from ... certainly NOT ME! I suppose this is a useful trait to have as well, but I have trouble seeing it some days.

She is funny. She thinks everything is funny. She's not going to care one bit about anything, and it's all going to roll off her back. She'll have a wickedly fantastic sense of humor when she gets older.

She enjoys everything - she loves dirt and water, and if they're together, it's even better. She loves socks and her flip flops, sometimes together too. Her bike. Her brother. Chocolate. Her Boompa. Animals, especially dogs and cats. Being outside. Running. The amusement park and the zoo.

She looks like my Mom. I think I'm okay with this. I suppose I should say that she looks like me since I look so much like my Mom ... but I don't see me in her, I see my Mom. It's a different smile than the one I have, more like my Mom's was.

And oh the things she has taught me so far ...

It's really okay to not like your child some days, but you still love them to no end.

I'm not in charge of anything, I'm only the driver and the grocery shopper.

Labor can be a speed train of a ride but childbirth is beautiful.

Cuddling in the middle of anything is really very nice.

While it may be difficult sharing your bed with a baby, once they migrate to their own bed, that space they took up sure seems a lot bigger and emptier when they're not there.

When you see some of your own qualities in your child, you wonder how anyone has put up with you for so long, and good Lord, I actually got somebody to marry me, by choice!

So ... to the Queen Bee ... your Mommy loves you. Thank you for challenging me and not letting me get comfortable, for showing me that yes, you can love two children and your heart will in fact, not burst, but somehow expands to contain the love, for making me a better person by making me look inside myself and really think.

Thank you for being mine. I am so glad I get to be your Mommy, and even though we may clash at times, I am so looking forward to what the next day brings.

No comments: