Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Happy Birthday Grace

Last weekend we celebrated my nieces sixth birthday, with a small party at her house.

She was born in the early morning hours of June 1st, and my brother in law and sister in law checked out of the hospital by 3 pm that same day, and I think I was holding Grace by 7:30. We did bring them some dinner, but in hindsight, it was probably a bit much, but I had yet to be a parent at that point in our lives. Up until my daughter was born, Grace was the newest baby I had ever held. For a variety of reasons, I didn't get to meet my son until he was over 15 hours old. And, thanks to Grace, my husband "got the itch" and he/we decided to go forward on the baby making front within a few weeks of making her acquaintance. Forty nine weeks later, Q was born.

Last Christmas, we decided to "make memories, not messes" with the kids ... so we told Grace we were going to take her ice skating, since, after all, she is going to be an ice skating princess when she grows up. She has also never ice skated in her life.

So, we took her ice skating last month, and she was actually pretty good at it. Very persistent, and told me, at around Lap 5, "Auntie Becky, I don't need any help". No more tagging along for me!

So, for this birthday, we decided to get her adjustable in line skates and the appropriate safety gear, so she could practice her skating. And, to go with it and keep it all contained and, in theory, out of the dogs way/mouth, I made her a totebag for her skates and gear.

Here is my first ever totebag, complete with a box bottom pleat!

I lined it in bright apple green, and used the same for handles.

The orange buttons are only for decoration, but I think I should have bought the next size up.

The rainbow colored ribbons were only to tie it shut until it was time to open gifts.

Have a good year, Grace ... enjoy being six, and don't grow up too fast!

No comments: