Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Harvesting, Round 2

Back again, with yet another excess of fruit, this time it's blueberries.

We were in Michigan over the weekend, and on the way back from Grandma's house, we stopped at my new favorite blueberry farm, DeGrandchamps in South Haven. It's an easy on/easy off from the expressway, and fairly easy to find (turn left at the light). The Farm Market smells delightful - full of berrries, peaches, honey and all sorts of yummy creations.

The fields themselves were full of beautiful berries, something like over 130 acres to pick! The kids did great this year, Q only ate a few berries, and while The Bee ate more than I would like her to have eaten, nobody got sick this year. We ended up picking around 9 pounds between the four of us, and we bought another twenty. I'm currently freezing them by the cookie sheet full, and am looking at making some jam this evening. I've also made a pie, which we shared with the neighbors.

I love fresh blueberries! Love them, love them, love them!

And, on to what I don't love harvesting, Tomato Hookworms. I found one of these lovely creatures this morning on my tomato plant, and quickly found four more.

My thoughts:
1. These things are ugly.
2. They make a lot of ugly looking "poop"
3. They are decimating my tomato plants.

So I now have a new object of my hate, the recurring hookworm. I have read up on them this morning, and the more I read, the less I like them. There will be massive rototilling this fall and next spring ... if I'm lucky, I won't clip the line to the cable.

But, not too bad for a breezy Wednesday at home with the kids ...

No comments: