Sunday, July 30, 2006

Of Carnivals and Corn

Even though we're basically living on the edge of new development and suburban sprawl, there is still much small town to be found around us. Yesterday, in the overly agressive heat (I love high temperatures and high humidity in Chicago - and yes, humidity does matter), we headed west for some corn and carnival fun.

Apparently my son is much braver than I am ... I have known for some time, but truly realized that being a parent requires you to be brave for them, when you really want to hold their hand and steer them in the direction of the wussy rides. He got to ride the "Dragon Train" twice, in the front car, all smiles. I want Q to be independent, and not hide behind my skirts, but the process of letting him be that requires that I tap down all my fears and worries and let him go. And to top it off, The Bee follows him right in ... I am thankful for height requirements.

We all rode what used to be called The Scrambler, but is now The Flinger or something like that. I also have realized that my motion sickness is getting worse as I get older. It took all of my Childbirth Breathing to keep from horking after the ride. If I don't get some Dramamine, I'm going to be the "Mom that Watches from the Side and Holds our Stuff" ... which is not what I want to be. The kids laughed the whole time ... The Bee really wanted to go, but we had told her no, that she was not big enough. She asked, "pease" so nicely, and when I got the okay from the ride operator, I went and got her, and she said "yay" ... she was so excited to go, and she sat like such a big girl and laughed so much ... it was almost, but not quite enough, to make me forget about the fact that I was going to be sick. I am so proud of my kids.

We left shortly after that - Did you know it costs $3 for the pick a duck game, I remember when it used to be $1 per duck! We went to a relatives house to watch fireworks off of the deck ... Q was trying so hard to be patient - "Boom Boom Crackers, Hurry Up, I'm waiting!" It really was a very good show ... The Bee thought it was too loud, so I sat inside with her and we watched them through the door. She kept covering her eyes and saying her ears hurt, but she laughed her new laugh at them, so I know she liked them even if they were loud.

Next week, fireworks at our house, we'll see how that turns out.

No comments: