Monday, July 10, 2006

Stay to the right, but not necessarily politically ...

I took the kids on a quick train ride last week. I found a very kind man in the station parking lot, he helped us get a spot to park, and was just very nice overall. We don't seem to find too much of that these days. My hat off to Roy!

So we made our way to get our tickets and off to the train. Remember, I have a four year old and a two year old with me ... there are two grown people, each standing half on/half off the train, blocking our attempts to get in, while the conductor is tellling me to hurry up! Hello ... we can't get on! So, the two adults finally get off, and I think they missed the train because they were waiting for somebody's mom ...

We took our ten minute train ride to the Children's Museum (www.dupagechildrensmuseum.org) , and trying to get off the train is almost as difficult as it was for us to get on. I understand that there is limited time to do these things, but I remember one of the first lessons we were taught at a school wide assembly in junior high (7th grade) was to "Stay on the right." Evidently, getting off the train is like being salmon, trying to make your way upstream to spawn. I don't know how many people pushed right past my kids in their hurry to get on the train. Are we that self absorbed and that much in a hurry, that we can't wait twenty seconds for a woman and two kids to get off the train?!? Or, am I such a Mayberry-oriented soul that I haven't caught up with the mentality of the 2000's?

All in all, the kids had a good time, they enjoyed the train rides and the time at the museum. Bonus: it cost me about a dollar fifty more than it would have cost me to drive there, but it only took twenty minutes (ten to the station, ten on the train), not thirty! Not bad ...

No comments: