Wednesday, November 26, 2008

forever thankful

Each year, I ask various relatives to get me a short list (three things) that they are thankful for. I compile them into one giant list, and we share this list at dinner. Some things are serious, some are silly, almost all of them are heartfelt.

This year, I only got responses from five people, not including my kids or husband. Once I beat an answer out of them, I'll be up to eight. Not such a big list this year ...

But, instead of being all ho-hum about what I did not get, I'll focus on the list that I did get. I'll be working on that first thing in the morning, while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and the bread and brownies are baking. Then, we'll load up the car and head to my Aunt & Uncle's house to spend the afternoon there. My bio-dad is up near the UP in Michigan with his girlfriend for the weekend. My step-dad is in Florida, he'll spend the day with his friends. My in-laws will go out to dinner, but we may stop by on our way home from Aunt & Uncle's House.

I have so many fond memories of Thanksgiving growing up ... the smell of sage that went into the stuffing that I never ate, unless it was cooked OUTside of the bird, the steamy kitchen windows from all the cooking going on, the pie my mom "flew" across the kitchen when the oven rack came flying out of the oven one year - it's amazing the mess an almost cooked pumpkin pie can make. My grandma's cornbread dressing (she spoils me!), the funny little ridge that is on the can of cranberries (I don't eat those either, unless they're made fresh), green beans and corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes with melted marshmellows on top ... then an afternoon of football.

I remember way back when ... before we had vcrs and dvrs and what not ... it was every year that we got to watch The Wizard of Oz, and it was always on Thanksgiving, and it was such a treat! That may have been the highlight of my day ... we always had to be home in time, so we could get pajamas on, make some popcorn with a little bit of garlic salt, and watch the movie. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful day.

Thats why I want my Thankful List ... I want my kids to have a memory of something special we did on Thanksgiving, maybe they'll keep if for themselves and their families, maybe they won't, but I just hope that when they look back at Thanksgiving, they'll look back and smile too.

No comments: