Saturday, September 06, 2008

harvesting

Yesterday, I got a phone call from my mother in law, letting me know that the corn was ready to be picked. This was somewhat funny, considering that earlier in the summer, I had asked about corn, and was told that they were not going to be planting any. So, I had resigned myself to getting corn from the farmers market, and the possibility of not having any to freeze. Hmm ... bad assumption.

Here's a timeline:

3:30 phone call from MIL - they have 24 rows of sweet corn, want some?
3:40 leave the house with two complaining children
4:00 arrive at farm where MIL works and start picking
4:45 leave farm where MIL works with 157 ears of corn!
8:30 look at corn and say to DH - what was I thinking?
10:30 tell DH that we're done for the night, we ran out of freezer bags for corn cut off the cob

9:00 am start shucking corn, again, another 60 ears to be frozen on the cob
10:20 take a break while waiting for water to boil and blog about overwhelming amounts of corn

So ... my freezer is slowly being taken over by corn.

In addition to the 25 pounds of blueberries I've already frozen.
In addition to the tomatoes from our garden that I've been freezing
Not including two gallons of blackberries waiting to be made into jam.

And I was going to make a batch of sloppy spaghetti this afternoon, so that is another six quarts of sauce I'll have to freeze.

I think I may have a problem. In more ways than one.

No comments: