Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Farm

I mentioned that we went to a local farm today, and I thought I'd put the information here in case all of my (zero) readers are interested in what we do or do not do. It's not a traditional red barn with a silo type of farm, but it's a farm nonetheless.

Heritage Prairie Market in Elburn is a wonderful little place. It's just outside of town, but still in the middle of what farm land we have left in the area. The shop has a variety of wholesome, organic, locally made items, including some wonderful honey! I bought some of the Buckthorn Honey today and I can't wait to have some on my toast for breakfast tomorrow. It's reminds me more of molasses than honey, though. It's not something to put in your tea.

We also talked to the goats and the chickens, and looked at their plantings. I resisted the urge to buy more herbs to plant. The kids were so excited to be out and at a farm, they were a bit zooey today, so we didn't stay as long as I would have liked. They eventually calmed down after about twenty minutes, and I'm hoping that when we go back for story time next Friday, they'll be a bit calmer.

It was nice to be at a place that is in sync with the lifestyle choices you're making - supporting local grown, organic farming practices. I know it has become the eco thing to do of late, but for those of us that have been trying to make these lifestyle choices, or at least to live in greater harmony with the planet that supports us, it's nice to see other people catching on. All of the stuff that I've done that people thought strange (worms, composting, biking, recycling, tote bags) is becoming more widely accepted these days, and either I'm not so weird, or the world is getting weirder with me.

No comments: