Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day and I am enjoying a very lazy Sunday ... church in the morning, home, comfy clothes are on and a pot of coffee was made, the kids are taking much needed naps (a birthday party was at our house yesterday, more on that later) and I read most of the paper. Now I need to get ready for a Mother's Day cookout at my brother/sister in laws house.

A big sigh of true contentment ...

Today at church they talked of Moms, and at one point during one of the prayers, my daughter leaned over to me and told me that I should "pray for your Mom, even though she died". And I know that the wording looks harsh, but my daughters heart was definitely in the right place. She looked at me with her big brown eyes, full of sincerity, and thought of my Mom, a woman she never met, at least on this plane. I think that somehow, as my daughter was created, some spark of her zipped past my Mom and they met in passing. Yes, I would pray for my Mom, who I know is in Heaven, celebrating a Mother's Day with her Mother, both of them looking down on our large, somewhat wacky, family.

And yes, I will admit that it does make me sad that I cannot celebrate my Mother with her on Earth, and that I have a wait (hopefully a very long one, no offense to Heaven, but I have too much living to do) ahead of me until she and I are back together. However, I cannot focus on being sad, because on the other hand, I had her for 25 1/2 years. That is what I choose to focus on. Do I wish I could have had 25 1/2 more years? Yes, most definitely. But it didn't play out that way, so I choose to focus on the time we did have together.

So to my Mom, I thank you. Thank you for taking the risk on getting pregnant, thank you for the sacrifices you made and for doing the best you could with what you had to work with. I know that there were some lean years in there, and that the road was not always smooth. I wish it could have been easier for you. You gave me so much, often without realizing it, and I thank you. I hope that I make you proud.

For anyone that may happen to stop by little section of the blogging world, Happy Mother's Day to you. Hug your Mom for me.

No comments: