Sunday, May 27, 2007

We're halfway there!

The garden is halfway there ...

Today we finished the border, and got all the mix ins into the dirt and got tomato plants planted. Actually, it was The Husband and Q that finished the border, The Husband turned dirt, I mixed and planted. The Husband and Q also planted 24 marigolds in our (feeble) attempt to keep rabbits away. I was at the store buying dirt, mushroom compost, new hand trowels and spades, the previously mentioned tomato plants and marigolds while they were busy in the dirt.

We also uncovered a rather large ant colony, complete with lots of larve. Very interesting. Not wanted in our yard, but interesting.

So on Tuesday, the kids and I will go out and buy the rest of our pepper plants, probably at least one more tomato plant, a cherry tomato plant, some borage if I can find it, and maybe some beans. I attempted to start some of these things from seed this spring, but it didn't work. I think my watering assistants were a little too eager.

So far, I've got growing:

  • 5 tomato plants
  • 1 jalapeno plant
  • 1 red pepper plant
  • 1 zucchini plant - if this produces like everyone tells me it's going to, it will be an interesting summer, full of zukes and whatever you can make from them. I'm going to attempt to get it to grow up a trellis. My husband is already skeptical of the vines and what not.
  • 1 bay plant

I've got hopes on some pumpkins on the north side of the house, but no vines yet

Lots of cone flowers, lots of black eyed susans, and one purple poisonous aphrodisiac.

And, this afternoon, after our Build a Bear adventure at the mall with our niece, we stopped to pick up our kids at my in-laws house and I came home with probably twenty stalks of fresh rhubarb. So, after this, I'm heading back upstairs with my canning equipment and making some fresh strawberry rhubarb jam. Yum! I've already made a rumble with some of the rhubarb, I'll see how many half pints of jam I end up with. If I did this right, I could easily end up with 12 - 14 half pints of jam! Yum!

I love coming downstairs and seeing all of the things that I've made on the shelf. The colors are so pretty.

I love spring! Love it, love it, love it!

No comments: